Log in

No account? Create an account

winding down...

Today I went on the last training run (3 miles steady) before the half-marathon on Sunday. So the next couple of days are going to be extra anxious with no outlet for excess energy. And since I'm flying out to India on Sunday night, I'll be spending Saturday trying to pack and calm myself for the race in the morning at the same time, likely story.

The race is on Sunday morning at the O2 centre if anyone feels like coming along to point and laugh provide support. There's a course map on gmap-pedometer. Although it looks like they're predicting rain on Sunday, but what do they know?

I set myself a target of 2 hours when I got the training schedule. I've been able to keep up with the schedule pretty well (bar light injuries, triathlons and drama-related can't-be-arsedness) so now I'm beginning to wonder if that wasn't aggressive enough. Hmm, not a good time to start fiddling with the targets now.

I received my London Marathon rejection pack this morning. (Letter + magazine + fleece). So that plan's out the window for next spring, need to see about an alternative. I could do the Reading half, somewhere nice and familiar; or maybe get adventurous and go abroad, combine it with a bit of a holiday? For example, the Prague Half is at the end of March... Hmm-hmmm...

And off to Bangalore for two weeks starting next week. I am utterly utterly unenthused. Not sure if this is really a reaction to the trip itself or just general work-related depression and disassociation. Probably a combination of both. Hopefully I'll manage to do more than just stare at the inside of offices and hotel rooms while I'm out there... to facilitate this, I've bought a new toy invested in an upgraded camera to replace my aging FinePix A203: a Canon PowerShot G9, which is a kind of half-way house between a compact and a DSLR--- more tweakable (and bulkier) than a normal compact, but not so extensible (or bulky, or expensive) as an SLR. I've been experimenting with it a little: the results are up on Flickr--- with which I'm actually quite impressed now that I've used it. So now I can put photos on Flickr, Facebook, Scrapbook and Myspace. I'll have to devise a system...

A week after I get back, I'm heading to a friend's birthday/out-of-hospital drinkup at the Fox and possible outing to Decadence after. I've been invited to "bring a gang", so if anyone feels like maybe heading there before Vagabonds, or even giving up Vagabonds for a night more metal...?

And then the week after that it's Infected Mushroom at the Indiglo. Music taste swings like mood swings :)


outings, contd

Some weekends just don't go to plan. I did indeed go to Reptile on Saturday night, and it was actually a pretty good night--- Killing Joke, Ministry, Tool, QotSA, DM... a fair mix, notably lacking *bwoop* *bwoop* *bwoop*. Which is probably how I let myself get talked into going on to Slimelight afterwards (idiot, idiot, idiot), which led to the next day in fact being a complete write-off. Feel stupid for having paid to enter the duathlon now.

I'm back at work, and it's just depressing. Amongst other things, I'm battling with the visa process to go to Bangalore 5th October to 18th October. I am completely and utterly unenthusiastic about going.

Planning on going to Synthesizer this Friday (hoping that having something that looks like a social life if you squint will distract me from everything else); everyone else in the world seems to be going to Wrecked on Saturday, so no idea what to do then...

I've ordered a ticket for Infected Mushroom at the start of November though: that should be... interesting. I love IM's stuff, so I won't be completely out of place, but it seems likely to be very different to nights out that I'm used to going to. Maybe, maybe not. Won't find out by not going, though.


I went to Electric Dreams at the Purple Turtle last night--- tbh I wasn't too impressed, although it wasn't too bad either. Certainly stayed until the end. Mostly 80s not-too-tacky music with some extra fillips thrown in (One World One Sky?!). £5 to get in, £3 a pint not too bad for London I guess. Still, I think I'm unlikely to return unless really bored or going with a bunch of people.

I was considering going out to Reptile this evening--- although since I'm racing tomorrow I shouldn't be living the good life too much beforehand :) I was considering driving there so that at least I can avoid getting back via the night bus at 5.30am again. If I'm driving, that will keep me off the beer too, so the next day should be OK.

When I came back froma run earlier I noticed that there was a black-and-white cat sleeping under the car. Sadly, when I came out again, he was still there and in fact bone stiff :( Not quite sure what to do, I don't know whose cat it is (there are two or three black-and-whites that hang around near our house) ... his owners would presumably prefer to collect him/dispose of him rather than just having him disappear. Hmm, should go back and check for a collar.


Still off work, off until Monday. Been wandering around trying to relax :] I have CDs by New Model Army, In Strict Confidence, Muse and Goldfrapp. So what music subculture am I part of, again?

Got back from from the pub tonight to a letter from the landlord advising us not to pay the letting agency any more and to contact them. Which is a considerable relief! I was afraid it would take a couple of months to grind through the church bureaucracy...

What is this, February?

Well, it's all happening this month! The post brought a letter from some accountancy firm addressed to me and Sue--- very odd. Turns out our letting agency is going into liquidation. Well, isn't this fun? I have no idea what effect this has, but since they are holding our deposit I'm going to guess that we've lost that :( Or, at least, we can try and register it as a debt and compete with all the other creditors for it :(

Colne bronze!

Woo! Just been watching the track cycling, and Steven Burke grabbed a bronze in the pursuit--- another Colne lad!


I'm recovering from the weekend. Kind of. Yesterday I got rained on cycling home; the stinging nettles next to the towpath seem to have been growing a lot recently, so I came home covered in wet sand and with my arms feeling like the skin was being boiled off. Rob suggested that the Romans thought that stinging nettles were good for you: but then they thouight that about vomiting and buggery too.

Today I swam 1500m in the pool, just. And since then feel like I've eaten about 5000 calories worth of food to try and recover. The latest instalment being king prawns and mushrooms in rogan josh sauce, schlurp. Hopefully after all this I'll be able to get some actual sleep tonight. The training menu for tomorrow says 6 miles easy running... "easy" sounds good to me.

London Triathlon 2008

London Triathlon 2008
Swim 1500m 00:46:50
T1 00:05:40
Bike 40Km00:39:50
T2 00:02:59
Run 10Km00:31:13
Total 03:16:25

Phew! Well, it didn't go to plan, certainly not at the start: I had a lot of trouble finding my rhythym for the swim, and my cap kept coming off--- I ended up having to hang onto a guy's canoe while trying to put it back on. And then drifted a long way out of the lane on the return leg of the swim, not helped by having to come back against the wind. I did manage to settle a bit as I was coming back but it still just felt miserable. Then about 10m away my right calf cramped up really badly, and I couldn't stand up on the pontoon! They sat me down and poured Gatorade down me and helped take off the top half of my wetsuit... when I'd recovered a bit I went on but was just really glad that bit was over.

The bike section was OK: I overtook quite a few people on the first lap, got overtaken quite a bit on the second--- evens out, I guess. Did manage to keep up with at least one guy with a nice shiny speciailise tri bike with very shiny sprockets :) Who then turned out to be on his first lap :D

After all that, the run wasn't actually as miserable as I'd thought it would be. I thought I was just jogging easily through it but looking at the split time, I wasn't actually doing too badly.

So, much better performance than the duathlon last year. Of course, not going into the race injured helps! There are pictures too. Considering doing it next year as well, I must be crazy...

racked and ready to go?

Managed to get the bike in to ExCeL today. That place is huge. I have some pics of the main hall that they're using for transition, but I don't think I could do it justice. The weather was atrocious... lots of wind and rain (I cycled in from Plaistow so still had to suffer a bit). Fortunately the forecast for tomorrow is looking much better. I think I've got everything planned out... just hoping for no awful last-minute surprises! Wish me luck!